Every face is unique, and every person has some traits they like about their face more than others. Maybe your eyes sparkle, or you have well-defined cheekbones, or you love your lips.
It’s so important to celebrate and acknowledge the things we like when looking in the mirror. It’s also important to understand what have for centuries been common beauty ideals, and think about how you can maintain your unique and special look while maximizing facial balance and harmony.
The Hallmarks of Facial Balance
Facial balance and symmetry is a complex thing. For starters, no one has a perfectly symmetrical face. And facial balance has to take into account many different features, which all combine to create a face that looks harmonious.
- Eyes: The horizontal placement of the eyes (how close together or far apart they are), size of the eyes, and shape all impact overall facial balance. Facial aging that causes one eyelid to droop more than another or asymmetrical bags under the eyes can easily disturb facial balance.
- Nose: The shape and size of the nose is one of the most defining aspects of a person’s face. A nose that is large, off-center, or with a prominent bump can be a source of self-consciousness.
- Cheeks: High, well-defined cheekbones have been a beauty ideal for centuries. Facial tissue in the cheeks naturally begins to sag and thin as we age.
- Lips: Smaller lips can contribute to an imbalanced look to the lower face. In addition, aging can cause sagging on one or both sides of the mouth, further contributing to facial imbalance.
- Chin: A recessed chin or receding jawline can cause an overall impression of facial imbalance, and is one of the most common facial features people want to correct with surgery. In particular, the relationship between the projection and size of the nose and the projection of the chin greatly affects facial balance, particularly in profile.
Facial Procedures to Improve Balance
Thankfully, modern facial plastic surgery procedures and advanced medical spa treatments can be combined to create increased facial balance and symmetry, while also reversing signs of aging. Here are the most popular options.
- Eyelid surgery: Also known as blepharoplasty, this procedure can lift and reshape the upper eyelids and remove bags under the eyes to create a refreshed, more symmetrical, and more youthful look.
- Rhinoplasty: Reshaping your nose can transform your look. This versatile procedure can correct a crooked nose, decrease the size of the nose, remove a prominent hump/bump on the bridge of the nose, and much more.
- Cheek lift: This procedure corrects cheek tissue that has drifted downward with age, lifting mid-face tissue and in some cases also adding fat or an implant to achieve the desired look. The sagging, elongated appearance can be reversed to improve your overall facial proportions.
- Dermal filler: Injectable fillers are a versatile way to smooth lines and creases, as well as plump the lips. A skilled injector knows how to place fillers to fine-tune facial balance and even out contours.
- Chin augmentation: A chin implant is the only way to significantly improve the projection and definition of the chin. This procedure alone can make an amazing difference for facial balance and harmony, and the results can be even more noticeable when combined with nose surgery.
Ready to see how you can achieve more balance, symmetry and harmony in your facial features? Call our Boston office today at 857-350-4205 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.