Surgery, injury, acne or another trauma to the skin can result in scarring. Scars can be unsightly and lead to feelings of self-consciousness, or in some cases, even restrict full use of the face. Scar revision is a carefully customized process designed to minimize the appearance of scars by helping them blend in with the surrounding skin.
At the Boston Center for Facial Plastics, facial plastic surgeon Dr. Waleed Ezzat is uniquely equipped to treat facial scars given his double-board certification and deep understanding of both reconstructive and cosmetic procedures.
Contact us online to learn more
about your scar revision options
or to schedule your consultation.
When to Consider Scar Revision
The most common reasons men and women consider scar treatment include:
- An earlier surgery has resulted in adverse scarring
- Injury or another trauma has caused noticeable scars
- Scars restrict the use of eyelids, nose or mouth
- Severe acne has left unsightly scars on the face
Ideal candidates for scar removal treatment have realistic expectations for their results and are in good overall physical and mental health.
Before Your Scar Revision
Prior to your scar treatment, you will have a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Ezzat to discuss your ideal outcome for scar revision, any questions you may have about the procedure and what your best options may be. Scar revision is custom-tailored for each individual, so Dr. Ezzat will also need to perform a physical evaluation of your scars.
Scar revision often requires the use of more than one technique. Dr. Ezzat may recommend combining laser treatment with injectable fillers to effectively hide a scar. Reconstruction after Mohs surgery is another common type of scar revision that can involve a skin graft or flap procedure.
Your Scar Revision Procedure
Your exact scar treatment will depend on the approach that you and Dr. Ezzat decide upon. Scar revision treatments may be a single procedure or staged. The goal of a scar revision procedure is to more effectively hide the scar so the eye does not track it easily. Therefore, additional incisions may be required to transform the scar. Other treatments may include:
- Dermal fillers require the injection of the product directly into the scar using a small needle
- Laser treatments use the energy from lasers to gently heat the dermis, stimulating the production of new proteins and cells
- Skin flap procedures require surgical transfer of skin to the scar
Request a Consultation
After Scar Treatment
Whether you require downtime after scar removal depends on your individual procedure.
- Dermal fillers are known as lunchtime treatments and require virtually no downtime. You may wish to cover any bruising with makeup during the first few days after your appointment.
- Laser treatments can require up to 1 week of downtime as your skin slowly recovers and tissue begins to regenerate. Most laser treatments are best in a series.
- Surgical revision or skin flap transfer techniques may require up to 1 week of downtime before resuming your normal routine.
Your results will develop gradually and will depend on what procedure or combination of procedures you used.
Your New Look
After your scar revision, Dr. Ezzat will recommend topical ointments be applied to the area and avoidance of sun exposure. Most individuals begin to see results within 1 month, but results should continue to improve of the next year. (This is how long it takes the body to heal!) Scars that are minimized effectively should appear completely natural and blend in with the surrounding skin. You may have improved function of your nose, mouth or eyelids. Many people who have scar therapy report feeling more confident and comfortable with their appearances.
Contact us online or call our Boston office at 857-350-4205to take the first step toward reclaiming your look with scar treatment.
Request Your Consultation